Ultima Tips and Easter Eggs by Steven
The Ultima Easter Eggs Collection
Author: Steven J. Saunders (email@example.com)
Last Modified: See the Changelog below.
This document is a compilation of Easter Eggs found in any of the
Ultima series of CRPGs. If you want to contribute, email me: firstname.lastname@example.org
I have not had time to verify all the contributions sent to me.
If you notice one that doesn't seem to be correct please email me
with the correction.
Spoilers about the results of using the information in this document
appear at the bottom so that those who wish to see it for themselves
wont accidentally read the results while reading about the egg.
Only some eggs have spoilers.
I'd like to take this opportunity to recommend to you the Reasons
To Believe website. It is a great site with some really interesting
reading.Here's a quote from the site. The address is http://www.reasons.org .
Reasons To Believe is an international, interdenominational ministry
established to communicate the uniquely factual basis for belief
in the Bible as the wholly true Word of God and for personal faith
in Jesus Christ.
October 11, 1999
Easter Egg 5 for Ultima V - Warriors of Destiny
July 9, 1999
Easter Egg 39 for Ultima VII - The Black Gate
Easter Egg 12 for Ultima VII Part II - The Serpent Isle.
March 24, 1999
Cheat 8 for Ultima VII - The Black Gate.
March 15, 1999
Easter Egg 38 for Ultima VII - The Black Gate.
February 2, 1999
More major format changes (one day I'll be happy with it.)
Extra info in Easter Egg 10 for Ultima VII Part II - The Serpent
Easter Egg 11 for Ultima VII Part II - The Serpent Isle.
Cheat 7 for Ultima VII - The Black Gate.
September 30, 1998
Easter Egg 2 for Ultima VI - The False Prophet
September 17, 1998
Format update. Many small changes.
Easter Eggs 35, 36 and 37 for Ultima VII - The Black Gate.
Easter Egg 10 for Ultima VII Part II - The Serpent Isle.
Easter Egg 3 for Ultima VIII - Pagan.
Ultima I: The First Age of Darkness
Ultima II: The Revenge of the Enchantress
Ultima III: Exodus
At present I have nothing for these games. Contributions are welcome.
Ultima IV: Quest of The Avatar
(1) Use the Skull of Mondain.
(1) In the Amiga version, say "Banjo" backwards to anyone and you
will be given Banjo Bob's secret number. Banjo Bob was the author
of the Amiga version. If you think you know what the number means,
please email me. It doesn't appear to change as the game progresses.
Ultima V: Warriors of Destiny
(1) Look at a well and when it asks, drop in a coin. Wish for any
of the following: Corvette, Ferrari, Lamborghini, Lotus, Porsche,
Horse. Notes: This doesn't seem to work for all wells. It does
work in the well in Empath Abbey. Works on the Apple ][ Version,
unsure about others. Goldenflame Dragon advised me that this works
on the C64 version.
(2) Once you have left Iolo's Hut at the start of the game go back
in and visit the stables. There will be a horse there. You should
talk to it at least twice. It also helps if you have already played
(3) If you have finished Ultima V and have Ultima VII Part II then
go to the monastery (In U7 pt 2) and read the books there.
(4) Yell "FLIPFLOP". Note: As far as I know, this only works in
the Apple ][ version. Contributor: Jocksitter Dragon
(5) Talk to nearly any NPC and say a swear word. Contributor: HK
Ultima VI: The False Prophet
(1) Talk to Smith The Horse at Iolo's Hut and he will give you a
truly important clue.
(2) You can listen to all the different music tracks in the game
from the title screen (where you select either Introduction, Create
a Character, Journey Onward etc.) by pressing one of the keys
on the top row of the keyboard (i.e. 1234567890-=)
Contributors: Equinox Dragon and Underworld Dragon
(1) Hold down "alt" and type 213 on the numeric keypad, then let
"alt" go. Result: You get a free gem view and a number.
The number is broken down as follows (for e.g. 7510260170161) 75
is your Karma. 1026 is the time. 017, 016, 1 is your present
(2) Hold down "alt" and type 214 on the numeric keypad, then let
"alt" go. Result: This is a teleport cheat. You will be asked for
three coordinates and then transported there. You can get the coordinates
for a location by going to it and using the Alt-213 cheat listed
(3) Hold down "alt" and type 215 on the numeric keypad, then let
"alt" go. Result: Causes an hour of game time to pass.
(4) Speak to Iolo and say:
spam (enter) spam (enter) spam (enter) humbug (enter)
Result: You will get a cheaters menu with many useful functions.
Ultima VII: The Black Gate
(1) Warning, this one is a bit violent: Kill Lord British. There
are a number of ways to accomplish this feat. Each of them is amusing
so try them all.
(a) At certain times LB can be seen standing underneath the plaque
which reads "The Throne Room of Lord British". While
he is there double click on the sign. LB can always be found under
the plaque at 12 noon.
(b) Use the Black Sword's Death Power on him (Finish The Forge of
Virtue add-on to get the sword.)
(c) Use a cannon. Contributors: Halifax Dragon and Sean O'Neil
(2) Use one of the above methods to kill LB and search his body
(or use the Alt-4 cheat to get his objects without killing him.)
Read his will.
(3) Talk to people in Cove about the girl who tends the shrine.
Talk to the girl too, she will want you to find out about
her father. To do so you will need to talk to the monks at Empath
Abbey and the Emps.
(4) Speak to chuckles and try to figure out the rules to his game
and then play it. If you are successful he will give you a clue.
(5) Get the cube (either from the generator or the Trinsic cheat
room.) Talk to people. Especially Klog (Trinsic), Elynor (Minoc),
Danag (Buc's Den) and Batlin (Britain.)
(6) Talk to the farmer who owns the farm just east of Britain. Examine
the object that "landed" in his field. In his shed
the Hoe of Destruction can be found. You can blow up the door or
try to find the key.
(7) If you come across a parrot and there is a gavel nearby hit
the parrot with the gavel. There is one in Spark's house in northwest
(8) Cast the Armageddon Spell. Talk to Lord British and Batlin afterwards.
(9) Go to the north shore of the lake which is surrounded by mountains
(west of Britain) where you will find the very useful flying carpet.
The coordinates are 8N 31W or Hex 269, 41e, 0.
(10) Go to the Bee Cave. Sextant Coords 56N 54W Hex 189, 239, 0.
Speak to the nudists. Make sure Spark is in your group.
(11) Go to Ambrosia. Sextant Coords 81N 187E Hex af8, 144, 0. There
is a tower here surrounded by water. Find a way in and you will
find a diary inside. Read it.
(12) There is a fair just west of Lord British's castle. Try the
strength test, see if you can make the bell ring. You get a prize.
Note: I could only do this after finishing the Forge of Virtue and
getting my strength increased by LB.
(13) Visit Serpent's Hold and speak to the people there. They
should strongly remind you of another group of people.
(14) Go to the bread shop in Britain. Sextant Coords 28S 3W Hex
384, 586, 0. To get started baking bread, use the flour.
(15) Use dirty diapers on people. One place where they can be found
is in the nursery of LB's castle.
(16) Visit the House of the dead. It can only be reached by cheating.
Hex coords are 5a8,508,0.
(17) Go to the dungeon at Sextant Coords 113S 10W Hex 338,8da,0.
Talk to the Unicorn. Try doing this before you have visited Buccaneers
Den then restart the game and visit Bucaneers Den before you talk
to the Unicorn.
(18) Go mining. You can mine for Blackrock, Iron Ore, and Lead.
For Blackrock go to the dungeon NW of Vesper (Sextant 20N 121E)
the machine is at Hex 764,435,0 For Iron Ore: Hex 5be,2c4,0. Lead:
(19) If you like using the musket then you can get bullets by double
clicking on the large dinosaur bones scattered throughout the game.
The first set you are likely to encounter is in the swamp between
Trinsic and Paws.
Contributor: Mike Wilson (Morgul Dragon)
(20) There is a life-size Knight's Bridge Board near Empath Abbey.
Sextant Coords 71N 54W Hex 185,1ab,0.
(21) Head South from Dungeon Wrong. There is a field of poppies
here. Walk in.
Contributor: Matthew Ross
(22) Visit Stonegate Castle, in the Swamps North of Lock Lake.
Contributor: Matthew Ross
(23) I haven't checked this one myself. On an island west of Trinsic
There should be a hut. Enter and you should find a dead chicken
and a skeleton key. Use the skeleton key instead of lock picks.
Contributor: Matthew Ross
(24) Near Vesper, there should be a large X on the ground. There
are some glass swords here as well as a chest with some junk and
a key in it. If you have speech the guardian will say something
Contributor: Matthew Ross and Jacob Wysopal
(25) There is a key under the pile of clothes in a western room
of Serpents Hold.
Contributor: Matthew Ross
(26) Try using the Black Sword's death power on the Ferryman or
Contributor: Lord Xavion
(27) Just south of Trinsic, at sextant coords 128S 3W hex 37b,972,0
There is a chest hidden under a tree. It contains some
useful stuff (especially for those who are just starting and have
only just gotten out of Trinsic) You can open it by attacking it
(28) In the Test of Love in The Forge of Virtue Add-On, just behind
the Stone of Castamber there is a lever. You can only see a couple
of pixels of it. Throw it.
(29) Visit the Cemetery in Skara Brae. Sextant Coords 54S 65W Hex
117,68a,0. There is a small building there with two statues on either
side of the entrance (throw the switch). Left of the building is
statue on a pedestal. Behind and to the left of this statue is a
lever (practically impossible to see) Throw this lever.
(30) On a small isle north of Jhelom there is a room inside the
mountains. Walk west into the mountains (even though there is no
visible entrance.) Sextant Coords are 117S 43W. Hex 1f7, 907, 0.
(31) Use crates and the anvil to build a staircase up to the roof
of the Smithy in Trinsic. Climb up onto the roof and walk around
(32) Warning, this one is a bit violent. Visit The Mint in Britain.
Give the lady a sleeping potion then kill her. Advance to the next
room using the key, lock out the guard and take all the gold. Repeat
this in each room (you might have to fight a guard or two). Once
you have collected all the gold, take the body to the healer and
get her healed. Talk to her and get the gold bricks and nuggets
exchanged for gold coins.
Contributor: (removed at author request) (aka Hunting Hawk)
(33) Visit Iolo's Hut. Talk to Smith The Horse and he will give
you a truly important clue.
(34) There is a secret room in the mountains west of Britain that
can only be reached by cheating. It is on the western side of the
mountains, just south of the stream. Go the Hex Coords 1f2,407,0
use the cheat mode
to make yourself ethereal and walk east into the mountains. Or otherwise
teleport right into the room at Hex Coords 209,407,0 After you are
done here try going and talking to LB and Batlin. Also try examining
objects and using the cheat menus. This is one of the funniest things
in the game IMHO.
(35) Use the Black Sword's death power on a Liche. If you don't
know where to find one, there is one in the dungeon on Ambrosia.
The response is quite amusing.
Contributor: The Dark Templar
(36) One of the actors or actresses in Britain is apparently carrying
a Troll. I haven't confirmed this one but presumably you can find
it by using the Alt-4 cheat or (as Kevin suggested) by killing the
Contributor: Kevin Beto
(37) Use the item creation cheat to create a dead body. Resurrect
the dead body and it will behave strangely.
Contributor: Lyn & Tony
(38) "Peeping Tom At The Observatory! Secluded Scholar Turns Out
To Be A Pervert!"
In the observatory in Moonglow, look in the crystal ball in Brion's
bedroom. It's "tuned" (or whatever one does call it) to the private
room of Martine, one of the ladies of the Baths in Buccaneer's Den.
Hex coords are b39, 5d0, 0.
Contributor: Daniel Huettl (Who's email was so well laid out for
me that I could just cut and paste most of the above. Thanks Daniel!)
(39) Wait until Erethian is standing in the middle of the entrance
hall of the Castle of Fire, for he will need some space (a good
time could be when he summons the forge equipment for you, or simply
use the hackmover). Then ask him about his blindness. Do this before
and after you destroy the tetrahedron generator, though you might
have to use different savegames because Erethian *will* get fed
up with your boorishness.
Contributor: Daniel Huettl (Yet another great submission -- thanks!)
(1) When starting the game use the following command line
c:\games\u7> ultima7 ABCD<alt-255>
The ABCD has to be in capitals and the <alt-255> is achieved
by holding down "alt" and typing 255 on the numeric keypad
and then letting "alt" go. Note: Entries (2)-(6) only work if you
activate the cheat mode by using the method in (1) above.
(2) Press F1 for a list of cheat keys and what they do. F2 brings
up a cheaters menu with lots of functions.
(3) Hit F3 and a map of Britannia appears. Click on it and you will
be teleported to the place where you clicked.
(4) Hold down alt and hit 4 and then click on someone and they will
drop everything they are carrying.
(5) There is a Hack Mover option in the F2 cheaters menu. Turn it
on and you will be able to move anything (including yourself and
(6) The F2 menu has a teleport option that you can use to teleport
to Hex coordinates listed in the Easter Eggs above.
(7) Fissif's Dragon wrote in with this one. If you set the ethereal
flag to 'yes' for the Avatar you can walk on water and through walls.
Ghosts have this flag set.
(8) In eastern Britain, next to the house of the gargoyles Inwisloklem
and Wislem, there is a tree. Take something you can stand on, e.g.
the chest from the house, and put it next to the tree. Walk up,
and you will be teleported to the room you get from the Trinsic
Cheat Room (the one with the many teleport platforms). If you have
trouble finding the right spot, use the hack mover and remove the
tree so that you will be able to see the teleport egg. Hex coordinates
are 42d, 54c, 0.
Contributor: Daniel Huettl (Once again, this submission was so well
laid out that I could just cut and paste the above straight from
the email. Thanks *again* Daniel!)
Ultima VII Part II: The Serpent Isle
(1) Go to sextant coords 109N 80W hex 085, 02a. Read the plaques
on the walls and talk to people here.
Don't go here if you have already spoken to Smith The Horse in the
(2) Go to Cat Isle at sextant coords 108S 73E hex 644, 8b4.
(3) Visit the Mad Mage Mountains at sextant coords 25S 102E hex
7d7, 551 More interesting stuff and people to be found here. This
area can be reached by stepping on a stump outside Stephano's old
house at Sextant Coords 81S 101E (near Moonshade). The stump has
a teleporter which takes you to an island. On the island there is
another teleporter which takes you back to Stephano's and an invisible
walkway to the north which leads to Mad Mage Mountains.
(4) Visit the The House of Wares in the woods southwest of Fawn.
Sextant Coords 77S 28W Hex 286, 778.
(5) The main stairs leading to Pothos' place has a secret door in
the wall. Inside a stairway leads to a small room with a lightning
whip. Another secret wall in the north of this room leads to a passage
which leads to a door. The door can be unlocked with the key to
Pothos' vault, which can be found under his chair. Behind the door
is a teleporter which takes you to an interesting place but you
will need to cheat to get out.
(6) Go to hex coords 884, 207. Under the bridge here there is a
plaque. You will need to hack-move sections of the bridge to be
able to see/read it.
(7) Visit the Monastery's Library. Read the books here if you have
finished Ultima V.
(8) Use the install program to disable sound (select no sound) then
run the intro with the command line:
c:\games\u7pt2> intro hisss jive
(9) Go to the castle in Dream World. Talk to Smith The Horse and
he will give you a truly important clue. He is a Nightmare, not
a normal horse.
(10) East of the Inn of the Sleeping Bull there is a large obelisk
with an invisible chest on top of it. It contains many useful items.
You will need to use the Hack Mover or alt-4 cheat to get at its
contents. Binary Dragon has written in to tell me you can get to
the chest without cheating by making a staircase with crates (find
crates in Fawn.) Binary also tells me that the key to the chest
can be found in a hollow tree south of the Inn (near the southern
Contributor: 5oh and Binary Dragon.
(11) Lead Ankh Dragon wrote in to say: "I've made a discovery in
U7 part 2 (SI): when I'm on Silver Seed Quest, in the dinner hall
of Serpent Keep, I tried to doubleclick on the pillars and I found
myself on a sort of parallel test!"
Contributor: Lead Ankh Dragon.
(12) When, in Serpent Isle, you enter the world of dreams, you have
to face a strange and evil wizard named Rabindrinath that has this
knack for harassing the Avatar with some really weird (almost insane)
poetry. Well, this character is clearly based on an Indian poet
named Rabindranath Tagore, probably the greatest poet in the history
of India who even wrote the lyrics for their national anthem. Just
like the wizard in Serpent Isle, the original Rabindranath is known
for his unusual poems, let me give you an example:
"In the drowsy dark cave
Of the mind,
Dreams build their nest
With fragments dropped
From day's caravan."
Contributor: Binary Dragon (cut & pasted straight from his email.)
(1) Activate the cheat mode by starting the game with the command
c:\games\u7pt2> serpent pass
If you have the Silver Seed Add-On then use this instead:
c:\games\u7pt2> serpent manimal
This will activate the cheat mode which works pretty much the same
as the cheat mode in Ultima VII: The Black Gate.
(2) Create the files "quotes.flg" and "endgame.flg" in the "static"
directory. Start the game and you will have an option to see the
endgame on the main menu.
Ultima VIII: Pagan
(1) Cast rock flesh and then ignite a lot of bombs in your backpack
right before you read Mythren's Book in the cellar of the castle
you will still see the execution sequence where Mordia dies. If
you go back to the cellar you can collect your body parts.
Contributor: Patrick Hubert
(2) When the guard is questioning the peasant, put 4 flasks of oil
between them, 2 each. Ignite the bottles near the peasants. It
shall kill him but the guard is alive. Kill him and you will get
two talking corpses.
Contributor: Ng Ying Tat (Exacto Dragon)
(3) You should be able to unleash Pyros when the sorcerers go to
summon him by doing the following:
a) Don't have a candle with you
b) Don't have an ignite spell ready
c) When the guy tells you to bow ask "Must I?" before doing so
Contributor: Mark Kennedy
Here are spoilers that explain what happens when you 'use' one of
the eggs above. They are kept separate from the Eggs so that people
who want to see the results for themselves wont accidentally read
Ultima IV Spoilers
(1) Every living thing on-screen is killed. Your karma is also drastically
Ultima V Spoilers
(1) A horse will appear beside the well.
(2) Apparently, Origin forgot to make Smith give a clue in Ultima
IV so they put it in Ultima V as a joke. He has since appeared in
Ultima VI, VII, and VII part II, always giving you an important
clue about the previous game.
(3) One of the books tells you a bit about what happened to Blackthorn
after Ultima V.
(4) Everything flips upside-down. Yell it again to restore it to
(5) They will reply "With language like that, how did you become
Ultima VI Spoilers
(1) See the spoiler for Ultima V Egg 2.
Ultima VII Spoilers
(2) Read it, it's quite funny.
(3) She falls in love with you once you have found out about her
(4) The rule is that you can only say words with one syllable.
(5) The cube forces people to tell you the truth.
(6) The object is a spacecraft from Origin's Wing Commander games.
The key to the shed can be found on the shore of Lock Lake at Sextant
coordinates 2N 48E or Hex coords 587, 457, 0.
(7) The parrot will give you the sextant coords of a treasure.
(8) Almost everyone in Britannia is killed. Lord British is not
(10) Spark has a very amusing reaction.
(12) The prize you win is a stuffed toy.
(13) There people in Serpent Hold resemble characters from Star
Trek: The Next Generation.
(14) The Unicorn will ask about your virginity. Your companions
will laugh if you are still a virgin.
(21) You should fall asleep.
(22) There is a Magebane sword here.
(24) The key opens the chest in the dining room in Serpent's Hold.
The Guardian says: "I am the Pagan Lord" backwards. Presumably referring
to Ultima VIII.
(25) The key opens the weapons vault.
(28) It will open a secret door in the passageways to the north.
Go through it and you will find a Death Scythe, about 10 glass swords
and some other stuff.
(29) The side of the building opens up. Inside is a nightstand.
Inside that is some useful stuff including the Soul Cage and the
(30) There are many items here including the deeds to three ships.
(31) You are teleported to the Trinsic cheat room. There is lots
of great stuff here including all major quest items. Enough magical
weapons and armour for your entire party and a fully loaded spellbook.
(33) See the spoiler for Ultima V Egg 2
(34) Lord British will appear and blow you away for cheating.
(39) Erethian will show you just how powerful a magician he is by
trying to transmorph into a winged gargoyle and a dragon. If the
tetrahedron generator is still working, he will fail and transform
into a mouse and a cow instead.
Ultima VII Part II Spoilers
(2) There are lots of treasures and major quest items here.
(4) The pirate is a software pirate, complete with computer.
(5) It's a football field, complete with opposing teams (and cheerleaders
if I recall correctly.)
(6) It says: Turn off hack mover you cheater.
(7) See the spoiler for Ultima V Egg 3.
(8) The script for the intro is changed. The new one is quite funny.
"Batlin, know that my face is most muppet-like..."
(9) See the Spoiler for Ultima V Egg 2.